WeBop is an early-childhood jazz education program for children 3 to 5 years old that invites families to stomp, strut, and swing to the joyous rhythms of jazz as they learn about the core concepts, instruments, and great performers of jazz. These 45-minute classes are structured to engage both the child and caregiver, with participation required from both. Families can sign up more than one child as long as there is an adult with each child. Each term is eight weeks, with two band weeks at week four and week eight. The WeBop program is designed to:
- Instill a love of jazz, love of self;
- Introduce families to jazz in a musically authentic way;
- Awaken and enhance skills in listening, creativity, and imagination;
- Give young people a supportive and challenging jazz environment in which to thrive;
- Teach to multiple active modes of understanding;
- Create an inviting, responsive, and inclusive atmosphere;
- Encourage adults to use music as a parenting tool to not only educate their child, but also to encourage their development, self-expression, and individuality;
- Create awareness about how children learn and respond to their environment;
- Help students progress throughout the terms and age groups, constantly building on what they have learned.
Classes are held at Jazz St. Louis’s Centene Jazz Education Center, located at 3536 Washington Ave., St. Louis, MO, 63103. Registration is $215 per child and you can try WeBop for FREE at our FREE trial class on Aug. 25. To learn more and register for fall 2018 WeBop classes, click here.
All WeBop classes are child and adult participation classes. WeBop is not a drop-off toddler program. Learn more.
Featured Events are sponsored opportunities. For more information on sponsorship, email [email protected] or call 636-896-4179.